ADAMS Four separate families:
1. Alpheus Adams (1774-1869) and wife Abigail Wing,
children: Martha (Fisher) b. 1802, Mercy (Gardner) 1804-72, Zenas (1809-82), Freeman (1811- 76), Alpheus Jr. (b. 1813), Alexander M. (b. 1817), James (b. 1822), Lewis (b. 1824).
2. Urial Adams (1803-93) wife Annie Dottridge
children: Ansel (1842-62), Alexander C. (1847-1910) , Abby Jenkins, Charles O. (b. 1834).
3. John F. & Lucy Adams
children: Thomas (1842-58), John, and Lucy.
4. Joseph C. (b. 1810) and Abigail Nickerson
children: Joseph C., Adelia, Elizabeth and, Abigail.
ALMY: Middlesex County Judge Charles Almy (1851-1934) and his wife Helen
Cabot Jackson, a relative of the Lowells, built in 1906 the first summer home on the Narrows, to which he gave its name.
Their children: were active in founding of Cotuit Mosquito Yacht Club: Anna (1886-1981) married Percy Bidwell (1888-1970), director of the Council on Foreign Relations and pioneer in international education; Mary (1883-1953), the pioneer woman architect who designed several of the Almy houses; Samuel (1895-1959), and Helen
AMES: Isaac (1784-1864) & Bulah
children: Eliza, Cephas, Deborah, Mary, Seth, Hezekiah, Cyrena, Simeon, Cloie, Sarah. Simeon was owner of the Santuit general store, and owner of extensive lands, including cranberry bogs in Mashpee.
BAKER: Abijah (1795-1879) & Dinah Cahoon arrived 1834 from Harwich via Sandwich. Descendants still live in the village.
children: Abijah Jr., Mercy
Lovell, Mary Landers, Cynthia Folger, Kenelm, Melancy Robinson, Adeline
BEARSE: Four separate families:
1. Isaac (d. 1855) & Mercy Bearse:
10 children: Abigail, Isaac Jr., Sturges, Arthur, James, Julia, Lemuel, George W., Nathan, Martha.
2. Solomon (1779-1855) & Hannah Bearse
8 children: Martha Coleman, Mercy Coleman, Jacob, Tryphosa Hodges, Jerome, Thirza Gibbs, Hannah, Henry.
3. Moses H. (1780-1843) & Rebecca Bearse
7 children: Alfred, Prudence Small, Crocker, Charles C (architect, sheriff, moderator), Sarah Smith, George, Artemus.
4. Osborne Warren Bearse (1849-1922) & Belinda Gifford
7 children: Warren, Marietta, Marion Perry, Josephine Swift, Edward T., Agnes Richards, Ruth Leland.
BEHLMAN: Arthur (1886-1973) one of first managers of Cotuit baseball team & two wives, Annie Sturges,
children: Sturgis, Arthur, Myron & Velma Courtines;
second wife Sarah had Carlton.
BOULT: Charles, born Amsterdam 1783, came to Cape 1791, married Rebecca Lovell of Osterville 1809.
7 children: Only triplets born on Cape: Mercy, Mary & Martha; Eliza, Henrietta Coffin, Simeon, Charles.
BOYD: Thomas K. born England 1885, came to Oyster Harbors c. 1930, married Elizabeth Broughton Allbright of old New England family, descended from Mavericks, Devereux, Dennis, Glover, Bacon, Spencer, etc.
BURLINGAME: Pardon A. (1792-1854) & Polly
4 children: Betsey Small, Alvin C., Mary Falkner, Pardon Jr.. Descendants still live in village.
BUTLER: Patrick married 1732 Mehitable Smith; the first Patrick walked from Harwich to Boston to secure papers incorporating Harwich as a town; Cotuit descendant Stanley Butler (Zidon, Zidon Patrick, Patrick, James, Patrick) was
well-known designer of Cotuit skiffs.
CAMMETT: Peter & Thankful Bodfish
4 children Peter, Joseph, John, and Robert. John who lived in Little River 1775 and Joseph served here in War of
1812 guarding the coastline; descendants have preserved his musket.
CASH: Two separate families:
1. Horace Cash (1809-78) & Polly Phillips came from
Harwich about 1810.
7 children: Lydia Sturges, Horace, Mary Hendren,
Gustavus, Adelaide Nickerson, Amelia Howes, Hepsy Nickerson, Edrick.
2. Capt. William Cash, son of Alexander & Hannah Higgins, came from Nantucket in 1839 to marry Azubah Handy: Alexander George, William Murray.
CHASE: Freeman of Harwich and Abigail Kilby
two sons who came with their mother to Cotuit from Harwich 1805:
1. Leonard Chase, (1801-72) and Susan Nickerson;
9 children: Leonard Jr., Eliza Rogers, Susan Sturges, Mary Ann Hutchins, John, Rosalinda Adams, Priscilla, Rose Abbie and Orren;
2. Freeman Chase, (1805-62) married Eliza
dau. Abigail Linnell;
m. second Abby (Carlow) Jenkins,
dau. Lizzie Backus.
CHATFIELD, Thomas (1831-1922) born England; memoirs including Civil War service available;
six children: Susan Hodges, Daisy Fisher, Maud Knight,
Anne Lloyd, Belle, Florentine Churbuck; no sons. Many descendants in the village.
CHILDS: 3 separate families
One of oldest families in Cotuit.
1. James Childs b. 1767; m. Thyrza Crocker of Santuit
five children: Daniel, James, Alexander, George and Dorcas Coleman.
2. Thomas Childs, son of Joseph5 m. 1818 Susannah Cammett of Little River,
2 sons: William (1819-90), founder of Cotuit Oyster Co. and Thomas b. 1821.
3. Howard Childs, (1882-1961) of Newtown, son of Braddock of Hyannisport, m. Mary Ann Stewart;
4 sons: Ernest, Stewart, Campbell & Braddock.
COLEMAN: James4 (b. 1735) and Ann Lumbert of Mashpee two sons who came to
Cotuit in 1790s: John5 (b. 1768) and Hezekiah (1772-1861), whose children
established first resort hotel on Cape Cod, built ships and the oldest houses
COOLIDGE: Dr. Algernon S. Coolidge of Boston was prominent summer resident
after 1870 associated with the Lowell family through his wife Mary Lowell
(1833-1914). His relative John Templeman Coolidge summered nearby.
CRAWFORD: Five unrelated families:
1. Calvin D. Crawford, (1899-1964) was first to come c. 1913, married owner of Pines
Hotel and became head of chamber of commerce; brother Fred founder of TRW.
2. Allen Crawford, (1908-70) came in 1930s to 944 Main St.
3. Etta Crawford, principal of Cotuit School.
4. George H. Crawford, res. 80 Main St.; established Historical Society gift shop.
5. William J. Crawford, 20 Leeward Way.
CROCKER: Oldest family in Cotuit:
Josiah Crocker 1647-98, son of Deacon
William1, had land in Cotuit, married dau, of Gov. Thomas Hinckley;
children Capt. Josiah3 (1684-1721), Ebenezer (1687-1722), Seth (1689-1719)
and Benjamin (1692-1766), grad. Harvard 1713, all inherited land here.
first cousin Capt. Joseph Crocker (1667-) who married Ann Howland, daughter
of Mayflower passengers, built first house whose location is known.
cousin John's son Ebenezer (1713-45) moved a house from West Barnstable; it
is the oldest house in Cotuit.
From these three lines are descended the
Crockers of Cotuit, including State Representative Ebenezer Jr. (1751-1817)
who built the oldest house in Cotuitport, still standing.
His son Braddock Crockers,(1783-1841) built the first store and dock. The family once owned most of
Cotuit, with exception of a few lots owned by the Fullers and Lovells, and
acted as overseers of their neighbors, the Indians in Mashpee.
CROSBY: Two sons of Jesse Crosby & Ruth Goodspeed of Osterville.
2. Daniel, Osterville shipwright, had descendants in Cotuit. Daniel's son
William (1791-1848) married Rolinza Hinckley
8 children, Abner,
Dorcas Childs, Ruth Nickerson, Lucinda Nickerson, Rolinza Chase, two Williams
and Eliza Handy. Abner Crosby's son Benjamin was sea captain who married daughter
of Dr. McCollum of Marstons Mills and died in a tragic fire aboard his ship
in Baltimore harbor in 1900,
DOTTRIDGE: Samuel Dottridge came to Cotuit in 1808 from London, having married into an old Cape Cod family in Brewster. All descendants with full biographies are published in "Dottridge Family of Cape Cod", available for $15, including postage.
ELLIS: William Ellis of Plymouth and his sisters Betsey and Ruth all married
into the Rogers family of Cotuit 1836-49 and had descendants here.
FISH/FISHER: There have been at least 9 different Fish families in Cotuit,
perhaps all descended from the 1637 immigrant to Forestdale, Nathan Fish;
several have changed the spelling to Fisher.
1. David Fish of Little River 1790-1830.
2. John Milton Fish (1864-1953), son of James (1773- 1826).
3. James A. Fish (1785-1858) with many descendants here.
4. John who married
1852 Lavarah Handy.
5. John A. Fish son of Eleazer of Falmouth.
Leston Fish(er) son of Theodore, married Emmeline Fish dau. James Jr. of Forestdale.
7. Isaiah (1781-1837) of Forestdale.
8. Jarvis R. Fish(er) m. Clara.
9. Clarence A. (d. 1965) son of Albert Thomas of West Barnstable.
One of oldest families in Cotuit (Santuit), for whom Fuller's Marsh
Barnabas's son Ebenezer (1764-1858) had 10 children here, and son
Daniel had 8 children. Cousins Albert Fuller and his wife in Marstons Mills were last
members of Santuit Grange.
GIFFORD: Most famous member from Cotuit was author of 20th Amendment to the
Constitution which changed date of president's inauguration,
Charles Gifford (1871-1947). Cotuit family descends from Edward Gifford
(1810-1900) & Marion Jones. 9 children: William C. (1843-1928), father of
the Congressman, Horace (1844-65), Mary Jane (1846-65), Herbert (1850-8),
Belinda (1852-1923), Ruth (1853-65), Ezra (1896-1940), Herbert (1858-1921), and
One of oldest families in Cotuit, at Little River since 1700s.
Most are descended from Philemon (1812-70) and Luther (m. 1820 Betsey Jones).
Best known was Charles E., of Boston's famous Goodspeed Bookshop.
GOULD: James W. Gould (b. 1924), descendant of Thomas Gould who came to
Boston about 1685 and from several Cape Cod families (Bursley, Dimmock,
Gorham, Hull, Rev. Smith) is Historian of Historical Society of Santuit &
Cotuit, former Chair of Barnstable Historical Commission, Fellow of Pilgrim
Society and author of Studies of the First Settlers Homes on Cape Cod.
HALLETT: Capt. Joseph S. Hallett (1827-1904) in Cotuit 1850ff. married
Frances F. Handy.
HAMBLIN: One of the oldest families of Newtown, all descended from Luther
(1810-88) and Caroline Crocker, whose son Stephen (1851-81) built the best
bogs in Cotuit for the Cranberry King A. D. Makepeace. Another son farmer
Ezekiel (1854-1937) was father of Harvard Prof. Of Horticulture Stephen F.
(1884-1965), the wildflower expert, Nellie Gibby (1886-1925), builder Charles
L. (1889-1974) Socialist founder of nudist colony, school teacher Marion
"Caroline "Carrie" Wilkinson, and Seth E. (1898-1960).
HANDY: Handy's Point is named for family of five brothers who came from
Rochester in 1800 to establish a thriving shipbuilding yard. Those with
descendants here are Bethuel (1779-1856), whose wife Azubah Bearse was first
person buried in Mosswood Cemetery 1818, Cotuit's oldest and only burial
ground. His brother Job (1784-1851) and Edmund (1786-1827) also had
descendants in Cotuit. We are eager to find descendants who may have letters
or records of the shipyard, which operated until 1850. If you have information, please click here.
HARLOW: Prominent family all descended from Oliver8 (1800-77) of Hallowell ME
and Wakeby and Lydia Jones, with nine children: Thomas (b. 1826), Elijah
(1828-48), Andrew (b. 1831). John (1833-1922), Lucretia Jones (b. 1838),
Roland T. (1840-1909), Temperance Burrows (1844-80), Reuben (1848-1916),
Charles O. (1846-63).
HAYDEN: Nova Scotia born dentist Robert Ferguson Hayden Jr. and his wife
Gertrude Poor Cole (1877-1967) bought a summer home in Cotuit Highground in
1914, and raised
three children: Cape Cod's leading house mover Robert F.
Hayden III (b. 1910), Catherine Miller (b. 1913), and James J. (b. 1917).
The younger Hayden's storage area, called "Treasure Highland" became the
Cotuit Landing shopping center.
HOOPER: Samuel (1808-74), U.S. Representative, friend of Lincoln, who
entertained many national politicians here, was the first summer resident of
Cotuit, partner of William Sturgis in the China trade, uncle of Marian
"Clover" Hooper who married author Henry Adams in his house in Cotuit.
Descendants living in Cotuit.
JACKSON: The liberal journalist Gardner "Pat" Jackson (1896-1965), nephew of
"America's greatest woman poet" and Indian rights crusader Helen Hunt Jackson,
bought a summer home in Cotuit in 1927, and raised four children who became
leading sailors and commodores of the Mosquito Yacht Club.
JONES: Several unrelated families in Cotuit:
The oldest, descended from the
Quaker pioneer of Sandwich, Ralph Jones, lived in Newtown, and intermarried
with most of the families of Cotuit, including Baxter, Childs, Crocker, Fish,
Fuller, Gifford, Harlow families. The Cotuit ball field is named for
Elizabeth Gilbert (Jones) Lowell (d. 1904), daughter of the founder of the
New York Times, George G. Jones of New York. She lived across Lowell Av.,
and also gave her name to the Cotuit High School once located in the ballpark
KELLEY/KELLY: Capt. Randall Kelley (1803-67), son of Levi retired from
whaling to become postmaster here.
LANDERS: Two distantly related families, both in Little River:
1. The first was
Capt. Thomas C. Landers, master of the Charles W. Morgan, now at Mystic
Seaport, who took Little River born wife Lydia Ann Goodspeed (dau. of
Philemon) on the seventh voyage, on which their son Arthur was born at sea.
2. A descendant raised turkeys which supplied the Hyannisport table of the
Kennedy family on Thanksgivings. A neighbor to the north, Samuel Landers,
was probably a distant cousin descended from the pioneer Quaker family of
LINNELL: Abner Linnell, Jr. (1822-96), son of Abner of Centerville married
Caroline Handy of Little River.
four children: Caroline Nickerson, Eunice Scudder, Rodney and Julius A.
LLOYD: Horatio Gates Lloyd, Philadelphia investment banker, descendant of a
William Penn and Revolutionary War general, bought 100 acres at the southern
tip of Cotuit in 1928 and built a grand mansion in 1930. His son H. Gates
Jr. (1903-93), was deputy director of CIA married to accomplished artist and
art collector Eleanor Biddle.
LOVELL: One of first families to receive land in Cotuit, in seventeenth
century. Cotuit branch is descended from Andrew Lovell. Most prominent were
Andrew Jr. (1813-1900), state representative, town selectman and postmaster,
his daughter Elizabeth "Lizzie" was postmistress 1890-1915.
(1797-1882) came from a separate family from Rockingham VT at the end of the
LOWELL: Prominent family descended from Francis Cabot Lowell II (1803-74),
whose three children established summer homes here. George Gardiner (1830-85)
who first came in 1856, and whose daughter Anna married Harvard President
Lawrence Lowell who established Summer Harvard in Cotuit; Mary (1835-1914)
who married Dr. Algernon Coolidge; Edward Jackson Lowell (1845-94), historian
and father of famous architect Guy Lowell, artist Frederick Lowell and Alice,
wife of James H. Ropes, Harvard Divinity professor.
LUMBERT: Descended from Josiah Lumbert Jr. (1807-98) who married to Betsy
(Eliza) Rogers of Cotuit, and had eight children, with descendants here today.
MARSTON: Prime family of Marstons Mills which owned land in Cotuit, and one
resident, Capt. Zebdial Marston (1804-81), who lived in Little River.
MATTISON: Joseph Mattison (1884-1963) of New York City married Mary Weston
Woodman (1887-1919), whose father Dr. Walter Woodman (1852-1928) was a
graduate of Harvard Medical School in 1883, and began coming to Cotuit in
summers in the late nineteenth century. At Dr. Woodman's pier at Loop the
Cotuit Mosquito Yacht Club was founded in 1906, his Mattison grandchildren
among the founding officers. Joseph Mattison's
five children who grew to
adulthood Anna Murray (1911-96), Joseph Jr. (1920-97), were skiff sailors like the
next generation of Eblings,. Hendersons and Murrays.
MORSE: James Herbert Morse (1843-1923), New York private school headmaster,
and his artist wife Lucy Gibbons (1839-1936) bought a summer home at the Loop
in Cotuit in 1879, where they raised
three children: Rose Dunning
(1871-1943), wife of Dr. William B. Dunning, co- founder of Columbia Dental
School, headmaster James (1875-1943), and William (1877-1969), first
purchasing agent of Harvard University. The eldest James's diary of 43 years
is the most extensive account of Cotuit life. His wife Lucy's cutouts of
fairies and elves are charming; she was founder of the Cotuit Library.
NICKERSON: By the late nineteenth century the most numerous name in Cotuit,
all descended from two brothers Samuel and Seth Nickerson, whose sons Samuel
(1780-1850), Joseph (1789- 1866), Seth (1780-1860), Daniel (1784-1861),
Ensign (1789-1848), Shubael (b. 1789), Aaron (1792-1866) and Leonard
(1794-1854) all came from Harwich to Cotuit about 1810. Many descendants
were captains of coasting schooners and whaling ships.
PARKER: Two unrelated families
1. . Zeno S. Parker (1853-1928)
Parker of Little River (c. 1900), who married Winnifred Perkins, daughter of A. T. Perkins.
PERKINS: Col. Augustus T. Perkins, grandson of Boston's merchant prince of
the China trade, Thomas H. Perkins, built the first summer home on Cotuit
waterfront in 1863, calling it "Sandanwood". He became local leader of the
minority Democratic Party, receiving patronage of President Cleveland of the
office of postmistress, which he gave to his governess, precipitating
Cotuit's biggest political battle.
PHILLIPS: Harwich family closely related by marriage to the first generation
of Nickersons, principally children of Joseph Phillips (b. 1756).
PHINNEY: Levi Phinney (1769-1884) and Naomi Lewis were parents of
children in Cotuit: Anna Burlingame (1794-1885), Isaac (1794-1863), Elijah
(b. 1799), Abigail Nickerson (1801-76), Lewis (b. 1803), Grafton (1805-62), Levi (b. 1807), Lot (1812-81) and Warren (b. 1815). Many descendants in
ROBBINS: Two distantly related families.
1. The first, in Little River was
Joseph (1807-88), son of James & Hannah Nickerson, daughter of Seth of
Cotuit; they moved to Osterville about 1848.
2. The second was Capt. George
Washington Robbins (1852-1906), son of Elisha and Desire of Harwich.
ROBINSON: Descendants of Eliot Harlow Robinson (1884-1942), lawyer and
secretary to Congressman Gifford; his second wife Helen Bradlee was one of
the first women graduates of law school and leading realtor in town. Their
grandson Mark is a leading environmentalist on the Cape.
ROGERS: Two unrelated families:
1. The oldest are descendants of David Rogers
(1783-1845) and Martha Patty who came from Harwich with the Nickersons about
1810. Three of their nine children had descendants here: David Jr.
(1812-97), Frederick (1819-80) and Sylvester (b. 1821).
2. About 1910 the family of Emil Roque/Roderique from Sao Roque in St. Michael's
in the Azores assumed the name Rogers. See Portuguese families for details.
RYDER: Descended from Joshua Ryder (1823-79, son of Barnabas) and Emily Easterbrooks, who came to Cotuit in 1850, and had 5 children: Emily Turner
Bent, Florence Nickerson, Helen Nickerson (1853-1930), and Albert E.
(1859-1936), and Wallace (1862-1954). The family was active in cranberry
SAMPSON: Cornelius Sampson of Rochester married 1747 Desire Crocker (Benjamin4, Joseph3, John2, William1) of Santuit, the first of many marriages
which tied this family to the Crocker settlers, and made them heirs to the
lands. Squire Josiah Sampson (1754- 1829) built the grandest mansion of
Cotuit, "Sampson's Folly" with ballroom and first bathtub.
Enoch Sampson (1826-61) was the first Cape Codder killed in the Civil War, at
the first battle of Bull Run.
SAMSON: Completely unrelated to the Sampson family was that of Edwin P.
Samson (no P) (1866-1940), descended from Abraham Samson who came to Plymouth
SAVERY: George Savery (1798-1889), son of Thomas B. Savery and Desire Sturges
of Little River was the founder of the family in Cotuit. His son Samadrus
(1830-88) married a two cousins Mary and Lydia Sturges of Little River, and
had 13 children, including Alice, the wife of Barnstable Selectman for 25
years, Chester Crocker.
SMALL: Capt. Benjamin Small (1789-1876) of Little River had six children,
only two of whom lived to maturity: Abner (1813-95) and Malvina Marston
STURGES: The spelling with an "E" distinguishes this Little River family from
cousins on the North side of town. They are descended from Daniel Sturges
(1799-1867) who married Betsy Crocker and had 10 children: Sophronia (b.
1823), Capt. Retire C. (1825-99), Laban T. (1826- 1905), William H.
(1829-1928), whaler John R. (1831-1916), Daniel Jr. (1832-1914), Elizabeth
(1833-49), Mary B. Savery (1835-53), Isaac C. (1838-90), and Lydia Savery
TAUSSIG: Prof. Frank Taussig (1859-1940), distinguished Harvard expert on
international trade was a member of the Harvard summer colony, at house of
his mother-in-law Mary Thomas Gorham. By his first wife Edith Guild he had
William Guild Taussig (b. 1889), Mary Henderson (1892-1982), Catherine "Cass"
Opie (1896-1980), headmistress of the Thomas School, and Dr. Helen Taussig
(1898-1980), famous Johns Hopkins doctor who discovered cure for "blue
babies". Descendants have been active in Cotuit Mosquito Yacht Club.
WALCOTT: George Walcott married Lilla Nickerson (1869-1964), daughter of
Andrew C. Nickerson, and had Henry R. Walcott (1876-1954), father of Henry
Jr., one of founders of Mary Barton Trust, and its long-time treasurer.
WESSON: Frank L. Wesson (d.1887), son of founder of the Smith & Wesson arms
manufacturing company built a summer home "Welovit" in the southern part of
Cotuit in 1885.
His four children grew up here: Mabel (b. c. 1887) who
married the Canadian John T. Murray, Harold (1880-1946) who became president
of the company, Frank Herbert (1881-1962), and Cynthia, a noted gardener.
WEBB: William Webb, an immigrant from Ireland, was hired by gentleman farmer
Samuel Hooper to run his farm, and for whom he built the little farmhouse on
the Emmons property today. William married Cotuit woman Sarah Nickersan and
had James W. Webb (1834-1918) , who was the last owner/manager of the Santuit
WEST: Two unrelated families:
1. The first was that of Richard West who had a
farm in Little River in the late eighteenth century, and a related Abner and
Mehitable West who married in 1775 Little River siblings Sarah and John Cammett, children of Peter Cammett.
2. A later arrival was Harold J. West
(1916-2000), whose father built a house on School St. Harold built the first
house on Old Oyster Rd. in 1939.